1949: In December 1947, a small group consisting of 3 families began to meet each Sunday in their homes. During 1948 a strong reinforcement of new immigrants arrived and they obtained permission to meet in the Presbyterian Church basement. Soon that became too small and we moved to the old high school auditorium. Having grown to 40 families, we were ready to organize a church and in April 1949 Ebenezer Christian Reformed Church, Trenton came into being.
1952: In 1949, a house was purchased and a minister called. Rev. Witt arrived in mid ’49. Land was purchased adjacent to the parsonage. In April 1952 we were able to dedicate our new church building. It seated 376 adults in the sanctuary. New immigrants kept arriving and our membership grew to 200 families.
1966: In 1964, the building was again too small. Plans for major renovations were made. On May 31, 1966 we were able to dedicate our new church building.
2002: In 2000, the council mandated a committee named the “Millennium Vision Committee” to complete a feasibility study of the present facilities and make a proposal on renovations or additions. With their recommendations and the motivation of many people in the congregation, we completed renovations to our church building.
2005Vision and Mission:
In 2005, our congregation focused on carefully on what God was calling us to be doing as a church in this community. Through prayer, looking at God’s word, studying our church and our community God impressed upon us a mission and vision for the future of Ebenezer Christian Reformed Church in Trenton. Together, as a congregation we have adopted a mission statement and vision statement to guide us in the ministry we focus on in the coming years.
Mission Statement: Reaching up and out, together, in love
Vision Statement: We will passionately celebrate becoming a spirit-filled body of Christ that freely employs its gifts, gently ministers to the lost and hurting and eagerly steps out in faith as it openly expresses God’s love.